If you are struggling with chronic bad breath, or halitosis, know that you are not alone and that help is available. At Enhance Dental at Heritage, we offer halitosis treatment as part of our general dentistry services and are here to help you find the relief you need. Our team of dental professionals is dedicated to providing a judgment-free and compassionate environment for all our patients. We understand that discussing bad breath can be an embarrassing topic, but our goal is to help you achieve optimal oral health and overall well-being.
Halitosis is a medical term used to describe persistent bad breath. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor oral hygiene, gum disease, dry mouth, certain medical conditions, and certain lifestyle habits such as smoking and consuming certain foods. Chronic bad breath can be more than just a nuisance; it can also be a sign of an underlying dental or medical issue. If left untreated, it can also affect a person’s self-esteem and social interactions.
There are several dental issues that can cause halitosis, or persistent bad breath:
- Plaque and Tartar Build-up: Poor oral hygiene can lead to the accumulation of plaque and tartar on the teeth, which can harbor bacteria that produce bad breath odors.
- Gum Disease: Inflammation and infection of the gums caused by gum disease can result in bad breath.
- Dry Mouth: Saliva helps to neutralize bad breath-causing bacteria in the mouth. A decrease in saliva production, as can occur with dry mouth, can lead to bad breath.
- Tooth Decay: Cavities and tooth decay can create pockets where bacteria can accumulate and cause bad breath.
- Tongue Bacteria: Bacteria can also accumulate on the tongue, contributing to bad breath.
It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and see a dentist regularly to address any dental issues that may be contributing to bad breath. With the right treatment and proper oral hygiene, halitosis can usually be effectively managed and resolved.
Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing is a common treatment for halitosis caused by gum disease. The procedure involves removing plaque and tartar from the teeth and roots to promote the healing of the gums and reduce the presence of bacteria that cause bad breath. During scaling and root planing, your dental professional will use specialized instruments to carefully remove the build-up of plaque and tartar from your teeth and below the gum line. This helps to reduce the inflammation and infection associated with gum disease, which can be a major contributor to bad breath.
With our commitment to providing high-quality care and attention to detail, you can trust that we will do everything in our power to help you achieve fresh breath and improved oral health. Whether it’s through regular cleanings, gum disease treatment, or advice on oral hygiene practices, we are here to help you find the relief you need.
Don’t let bad breath hold you back any longer. Contact Enhance Dental at Heritage to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards fresher breath and a healthier mouth. Our team is here to help and we look forward to serving you and your family.